Tuesday 16 June 2020

It's in the book.


I came across some old papers of  my Mother's recently, and there was one item that intrigued me, an early school report, dated December 1958. I had no idea that my mother had kept this record of my earliest struggles with education. There, recorded in the strong bold hand of Miss Wilson (seeing that name brought back some memories) was her assessment of my abilities as an eight year old.

As I read the single page, I reflected upon all the other words written over the years about my deeds at school, my health records, work records, my rebellious brush with the police as an unruly 18 year old, and the innumerable miscellaneous forms and documents that we all fill out. I came to the conclusion that there had been a considerable volume of work written about me in the 69 or so years since God breathed His breath into me. Most of what has been written about me (or you for that matter) has long since turned to ashes, or is stored in some vast labyrinthine archive accessed only by rodents on roller skates.

There are some other records kept of you and I that are more permanent, eternally permanent actually… Do you know where those records are?

Then those fearing Jehovah spoke together, each man to his neighbor. And Jehovah listened and heard. And a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who feared Jehovah, and for those esteeming His name. Malachi 3:16 NKJV

The Hebrew word for esteemed is chashab  (pronounced khaw-shab') and it covers the whole gambit of the processes involved with thinking and formalizing thoughts and speaking. In essence this word covers every thought and spoken word we have had about God.

However this heavenly Book of Remembrance is not some sort of eternal report card, some cosmic compilation, waiting to be read to us upon our entry into eternity, where we will have some explaining to do to our heavenly Father. Think of every God honoring conversation that you have ever had…. All of the worthy deeds that you have done In His name. Once those thoughts have been spoken, the deeds done, they usually pass from our consciousness, seemly lost forever in the ether. 

The book of Esther describes a practice that existed among ancient emperors who recorded history, based on how it reflected on them. They had scribes keep accurate records of people they did not like, those who did them wrong, who were in opposition to them, etc. The emperor also kept a record of people who had acted responsibly, helpfully and honorably toward him. This is the practice that Malachi is referring to.

Malachi is saying that our Heavenly Sovereign keeps track of people who honor him, those who in the course of their life hold up His name in their gratitude for His glory. It may seem that these things, ­the way we live, all of our righteous actions, every encouraging word, and the praise we offer Him­ cease to exist after they are done. But no, the Lord keeps track of all of it. It is indelibly recorded in heaven, where it will continue to glorify Him forever.

  The Queen at Forbury Park, Dunedin, 26 January 1954.
I can just remember parts of the very first royal visit that the Queen Elizabeth II of England (who is also the Queen of New Zealand) made here not long after her ascension to the throne, more than 60 years ago. Our entire nation “put its best foot forward” and no expense was spared to show Queen Elizabeth just what a bunch of loyal subjects we were. The queen stayed at the very best hotels, ate the best food, we made every effort to honor “our” queen.  It was a memorable occasion; almost every school child was given a little medal to mark her visit. We wanted to make sure that the queen knew we were her subjects. We wanted to make a record of our devotion.

Likewise God Almighty says of those whose deeds are recorded in the Book of Remembrance… And they shall be Mine, says Jehovah of Hosts, for the day that I will make up My treasure. And I will pity them as a man has pity on his son who serves him. Malachi 3:17 NKJV

And they shall be Mine, says the Lord of hosts, in that day when I publicly recognize and openly declare them to be My jewels (My special possession, My peculiar treasure). And I will spare them, as a man spares his own son who serves him.  Malachi 3:17 Amplified Bible

To paraphrase, God is saying of those whose thoughts and actions are recorded in the Book of Remembrance: “They will be my special possession, my unique and wonderful personal property.”

Are your thoughts “in the Book”?
 

No comments: