Tuesday 19 May 2020

How to spot a clown outside the Big-Top

As a child I used to get really excited when the circus came to town every 2 or 3 years. From the moment I saw the posters announcing the arrival date I would endlessly pester my parents. On the day the circus actually arrived we would all duly go  the large park in the center of the city (along with just about everyone else living in town; this was the 1950's and there was little in the way of entertainment) and watch the big-top being erected. As the roustabouts, together with elephants, which seemed to do all the heavy work, slowly assembled the tents, animal cages and other circus paraphernalia my excitement only grew. 

The arrival of the lions and tigers, horses, donkeys and all the other animals that were associated with a traveling circus in those far less "politically correct" days heralded that the circus was open for business. However I always left for home with my parents a little disappointed, I never saw my absolute favorite part of the circus... the clowns. As I got a little older, I would sneak off, after school, on my bike and visit the the circus site, and I loved all the excitement, smells, and "glamorous life" associated with a circus; but I never saw any clowns outside the tent.  

We usually went to the Saturday Matinée session the following week (that week of waiting was the longest week in my life) and after buying the tickets, cotton candy, popcorn or whatever other delights were on sale my family and I would find our seats and wait in anticipation. While I really enjoyed the lion tamers, the trapeze artists, the preforming elephants and other animals (monkeys riding donkeys were a great crowd favorite) my joy was never more complete than when the clowns would entertain us between other acts. I simply never grew tired of watching their antics. Their sheer silliness enthralled me. To a little boy the out-sized shoes, baggy pants,
preposterously loud and absurdly colored shirts, ties and jackets, all conspired to leave me in hysterics.

After the show was over we would hang around outside the tent (usually at my insistence) hoping to see a clown, but I never saw any. It's easy to spot a clown inside the big-top, but as I discovered, almost impossible to spot one outside. My parents would eventually have to drag me away, always just a little disappointed, knowing that it might be 2 years before I had the chance to see one again.

What I never knew as a boy was that clowns outside the circus looked like you or I, the makeup, clothes and general silliness was all an act. I could be standing next to a clown on the street, or sit next to one the bus and never know it! Sadly, today clowns have taken on a much more sinister persona, and young children may nevermore know the joy that accompanies watching an adult descend to level of silliness that only children seem to enjoy. 

It's easy to spot a Christian in church, the place is full of them! How do you spot one outside of the building we call church?

There is only one way..."By this all shall know that you are My disciples, if you have love toward one another". John 13:35 M.K.J.V



Download the best free Bible Software available, E-Sword, here.   

2 comments:

Mike Wilkinson said...

Is there enough evidence outside of the church to convict you of being a Christian?

Nathan said...

I think that we are provided with many opportunities every day to show Jesus in action,... are we making the most of those oppportunities...To be perfectly honest, I probably aren't. It's something we need to make the most of and take up the challenge in doing. Proverbs 12:10 says " The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise"