Tuesday 9 February 2021

Whitwashed, or washed white?

One of my favourite novels, when I was a boy, was “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” by Mark Twain. I have re-read the book several times, and still enjoy it immensely. For some inexplicable reason the image of Tom whitewashing Aunt Polly’s fence has stuck with me for more than 60 years, and whenever I see that mixture of lime and water applied anywhere I recall Tom’s persuasive patter that this dreaded task was fun, thereby convincing his friends to take over a hated chore.    

Whitewash, or limewash, has been used for thousands of years as a paint substitute, usually to cover imperfections, or improve the outward appearance of plaster, concrete, wooden palings or just about any other building material. However, it needs to be applied regularly, as it washes off easily. Whitewash is also a verb, meaning to cover up (a crime or a vice).

Whitewash is mentioned just twice in the Bible, and not very flatteringly…

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, pretenders (hypocrites)! For you are like tombs that have been whitewashed, which look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of dead men’s bones and everything impure. Matthew 23:27 Amplified Bible

Then Paul said to him, God is about to strike you, you whitewashed wall! Do you sit as a judge to try me in accordance with the Law, and yet in defiance of the Law you order me to be struck? Acts 23:3 Amplified Bible

There’s a world of difference between being whitewashed, and washed white…

Most non-believers are whitewashed, they look good on the outside, and may even live “moral” lives, but inside they are like the tombs that Jesus spoke about; filled with dead men’s bones. We live in a world that places an inordinate emphasis on physical appearance and millions of dollars are spent on “make-overs” and cosmetic surgery, yet few people bother with “inward” improvements.

While none of us should look or act like slobs, our inner appearance is what matters to God. That inner beauty consists of the following traits…. “But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23 MKJV  
Our “washed-white” beauty is derived not from cosmetic surgery, pills, ointments, or any other human agency, but rather through a process that we don’t hear much about today…

There is an old hymn, written almost 134 years ago, that tells us how we are washed white…  
Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing power?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?

We don’t hear much about being “blood washed” these days, and most recent versions of the Bible have altered the verses that allude to such “archaic” or “hard to understand” concepts.

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood. Revelation 1:5 KJV
 
The Good News Bible ignores the idea altogether.  And from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the first to be raised from death and who is also the ruler of the kings of the world. He loves us, and by his sacrificial death he has freed us from our sins. Revelation 1:5
 
The old hymns had it right after all…

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.
      — Jesus Paid It All

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
      — Just As I Am

Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to watch and pray, and live rejoicing every day
Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away.
      — O Happy Day

There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel’s veins;. . .
The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day;
And there have I, though vile as he, washed all my sins away.
Washed all my sins away, washed all my sins away;
And there have I, though vile as he, washed all my sins away.
      — There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood

I don’t know about you, but I am glad I’m washed white by Christ’s Blood.




No comments: