Monday 14 December 2020

What's on your bookshelf?

I enjoy libraries; I always have. As a young boy I would catch the bus into town and visit the public library every other week, and spend hours ensconced in the children’s section, happily lost in the world of Tintin or Astrix- “The Secret Seven” became good friends, as did their slightly numerically challenged cohorts “The Famous Five”- Biggles was my inspiration, his aerial exploits ignited my love of all things aeronautical. I read biographies of the great explorers of the 17th, 18th and 19th century, Captain James Cook, (who discovered New Zealand, among other places) was a boyhood hero of mine, as was Sir Edmund Hillary, the New Zealander who conquered Mt Everest. When I met him in my second year at High School I was almost tempted to take up mountain climbing! 
 
When I finished my Saturday morning at the library I always took home the allowed number of books to read at my leisure. I could always be certain of receiving one or two books as birthday or Christmas presents. One of my favorite Christmas present books was an English translation of a German children's book "Emil and the Detectives" first published in 1929. Another annual treat was going with my parents to the (then) new building occupied by the city's evening newspaper, "The Star" and purchasing that year's "Rupert The Bear" annual. The newspaper office left such an impression on me that in 1968 I started working there, and eventually left after 24 very enjoyable years.

As I grew older I began to read the great “classics”, and a whole new set of heroes and heroines peopled my imagination. When I discovered “science fiction” my reading pleasure was no longer restrained by earthly limitations. I must admit however, these days I much prefer to watch this genre, the special effects are epic! I still find the pleasure of opening a newly printed book one of life's joys. I have a Kindle, but for me, the "soulless" nature of that little electronic device cannot complete with the printed page.  

Whenever I visit someone’s house for the first time I usually seek out their bookshelves and or their music or DVD collection; so much of a person’s character is on display there! If Mark Twain is indeed correct and “clothes make the man” then the picture is completed in their library. 

Reading does not just expand our mind, it shapes it.  Two things influence us very deeply; the people we meet and interact with and the books that we read. Books have a unique way of opening our heart and soul, and unlike television, which is a passive medium, the effect that a book has on us seldom leaves our psyche. Most of us can still remember our parents reading us our favorite books, but I for one have difficulty remembering my favorite toy.

With estimated sales in excess of 6,000,000,000 copies (yes 6 billion) the Bible is by far-and-away the most published book of all time, it's likely that there is at least one in most homes in "western countries" It will usually be easy to find, it will be the dustiest. It must certainly rank as the least understood book.

Millions of Bibles are hidden away from prying eyes in countries where possession of one is a punishable offense. It's estimated that there are currently 200 million Christians world-wide facing persecution, and owing a Bible in places like China, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Uzbekistan, North Korea, (being a Christian here is considered one of the worst crimes possible) the Maldives and Laos, is often a "go direct to jail" card. 

The Bible is not actually just one book, it's a collection of 66 different books written over a period of about 1600 years by 40 or so men, and has been translated into  1200 languages and dialects. Currently, a motley group of "Star Trek" enthusiasts are translating it into Klingon, here is a section of Psalm 1... I kid you not! 
 Quchqu'taH ghotvam
     mIghwI' qeSDaq yItQo'
       'ej yemwI'pu'Daq QamQo'
           'ej vaqwI'pu' quSDaq ba'Qo' 
 'ach joH'a' chut HaD  'ej tIv
   qaStaHvIS pem ram je chutDaj buStaH 
 bIQtIqDaq Sor pochlu'pu'bogh  rur
       'ej qaSDI' poHDaj naH lIng
           'ej Heghbe' naQHommeyDaj
                'ej chepqu' ta'meyDaj
 

You may have read all the books in yours or any other library, but 
unless your name is recorded in the book sealed until the end of time 
you have lived your life pointlessly.

The one who overcomes, this one will be clothed in white clothing. And I will not blot out his name out of the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. Revelation 3:5 NKJV
 
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. Revelation 20:12 NIV


 




No comments: